Skip to Main Content


HUD requires the HHA to terminate assistance for certain offenses and when the family no longer requires assistance. HUD permits the HHA to terminate assistance for certain other actions family members take or fail to take.

When a family no longer requires assistance because the amount of subsidy drops to zero, the family will continue to be a participant, but if the subsidy remains at zero for 180 consecutive days the family's assistance terminates automatically. If a change in circumstances would cause the HAP payment to rise above zero, the family must notify the HHA of the changes and request an interim reexamination before the expiration of the 180-day period.

Mandatory termination of assistance

  • Owner eviction for serious or repeated violation of the lease. A family will be considered evicted if the family moves after a legal notice has been issued, whether or not physical enforcement of the order was necessary or if the family moves after the owner has given the family an eviction notice.

  • The family violates any obligation under the program as listed in the contract

  • The family has not reimbursed monies due to an owner under a HAP contract for rent, damages or neglect done to the unit

  • Currently owes rent or other amounts to the HHA or another HA in connection with Section 8 or any other Federal Housing Program

  • The family has engaged in or threatened abusive behavior toward any HHA personnel

  • The family or any member has engaged in drug-related criminal activity, violent criminal activity or any felony-related incident

  • Has committed any fraud, bribery or any other corrupt or criminal activity in connection with any Federal Housing Program

  • The family has failed to submit required documentation

  • Unauthorized moves or occupancy. The family must request approval from the HHA to move or add any other family member as occupant of the unit.

  • Subleases, let, assigns or transfers the unit

  • Untimely notification of changes (family composition or income in excess of $25.00 / month must be reported within 10 calendar days)

  • Fails to sign and submit consent forms for obtaining information in accordance with 24 CFR part 760 and 813

  • Has threatened the peaceful enjoyment of the premises by other tenants

  • Has failed to supply true and complete information

  • Receives Section 8 assistance while receiving another housing subsidy for the same unit or a different unit under any other Federal State or Local Housing Assistance Program.

What can we help
you with today?

Contact HHA