No Smoking Policy
The purpose of the non-smoking policy is to mitigate the irritation and known health effects of second-hand smoke in Hialeah Housing Authority ("HHA") buildings. In addition, it is intended to decrease maintenance costs and decrease the risk of fire in HHA units.
- DEFINITION OF SMOKING: "Smoking" means inhaling, exhausting, burning or carrying any lighted cigar, cigarette, pipe, or tobacco product, including but not limited to marijuana or any other similar lighted product in any manner or any form;
- NON-SMOKING BUILDING: A Non-Smoking Building means that smoking is prohibited by residents and their guests in all units, hallways, and common areas and within twenty-five (25) feet outside the building. Residents that live in designated Non-Smoking Buildings agree to and acknowledge the Non-Smoking Policy when they sign their lease. Violating the policy (by smoking in a Non-Smoking Building) will constitute a lease violation and could result in enforcement actions up to and including eviction. The deadline for full effect of the Smoke-Free Policy is May 30, 2018;
- HHA NOT A GUARANTOR OF RESIDENT HEALTH: The Non-Smoking Policy does not make the HHA a guarantor of resident health or of the smoke-free condition of the resident's unit or common areas.
- CURRENT SMOKERS: Current smokers who choose to smoke in their units will have included Smoke-Free language in the 2017 lease renewal. On May 30, 2018, all private apartment spaces shall be smoke-free. Violation of this policy may result in formal warnings issued to the leaseholder, whether or not they are the individual in violation of the rules.
- REGULATION OF OUTDOOR SMOKING: Smoking shall be prohibited in all outdoor areas within twenty-five (25) feet of all doorways, entrances, exits, operable windows, and air intake vents. There shall be no outdoor designated smoking areas.
- COMMUNICATION OF SMOKE-FREE POLICY: The Smoke-Free Policy will be communicated to all residents immediately following approval by the HHA Board of Commissioners. Residents will have no more than 365 days' notice. The HHA Smoke-Free Policy will become completely operative on May 30, 2018.
- PENALTIES FOR VIOLATION OF THE SMOKE-FREE POLICY: As with all HHA House Rules, residents are expected to follow the rules or face progressive actions. No more than two (2) 7-day curable notices will be delivered. Should a third violation occur within a 12-month period, eviction proceedings will begin.
It is the intent of the HHA that reasonable efforts will be made prior to commencing eviction proceedings against any resident or leaseholder. However, the rules must be enforced as part of the lease contract. To that end, eviction will occur when formal and documented warnings are ignored.
We are an equal-opportunity housing provider. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or disability. This document is available in an alternate, accessible format upon request. Anyone who requires an auxiliary aid or service for effective communication or a modification of policies or procedures to participate in a program, service, or activity offered by the Hialeah Housing Authority should contact the Section 504 Coordinator.